Header

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Message from the Mayor: Council adds to proposed capital expenses in budget for fiscal year starting July 1

By Grayson Vandegrift
Mayor, City of Midway

I recently presented my proposed budget for fiscal year 2018-2019 to the council, and this past Thursday, we had our first workshop. Every year I propose a budget to this body and I’m generally prepared for them to cut some of the projects I’ve funded in favor of different ones, which I accept as part of the process. This budget workshop was different, however.

My proposal included a 25 percent cut in property taxes as well as significant investment in infrastructure, roads, storm sewers, parks, and many other vital components of our community. I reflexively expected some snips here and there, but was pleasantly surprised when members not only accepted everything I had proposed, but even added to my proposed investments in road paving as well as further streets and cemetery improvements. They bought into the central message of this budget: that it’s time to use our general fund surpluses to give money back to our citizens and to invest more in our community. They made an exciting budget even better.

With spring in bloom it’s a great time of year to get the dogs out of the house – I know mine have plenty of pent up energy from the long winter. Please politely help us get the word out to any dog parents that don’t know that we have an ordinance requiring dogs to be leashed at all times when they’re out and about.

Katie and I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support as we go through a difficult pregnancy. Your thoughts, prayers, and words of encouragement have been uplifting and sustaining in a difficult time for us. We’re forever grateful for this beautiful, thoughtful community.

No comments: