Header

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Tom Bozarth says he won't seek a third term as mayor

Mayor Tom Bozarth (Photo by Dick Yarmy)
Midway Mayor Tom Bozarth announced in his weekly column in today's edition of The Woodford Sun that he will not seek a third four-year term in next year's elections.

"After my current term ends, I will have served 12 years in public office, two terms on the council and two terms as mayor," Bozarth wrote. "I have also served seven years on the Board of Directors of the Kentucky League of Cities, two years as an officer and last month was elected as president of the organization. While I appreciate being encouraged by several friends and colleagues to run for other political offices, I am a strong believer that there needs to be term limits for elected officials. Therefore, I am imposing my own term limit knowing that our work over the past several years has set Midway on course for an even brighter future."

Bozarth, a Thoroughbred bloodstock agent, wrote that he made the decision last spring "after much discussion" with his girlfriend Danielle Tussey, his family and friends. Filing for offices in the 2014 election opened last week and closes at 4 p.m. Jan. 28. If more than two candidates file for mayor, a primary will reduce the number to two. All six city council seats will also be on the ballot.

Shortly before the 2010 filing deadline, Bozarth said he would not seek a second term, but changed his mind. "I had some things I wanted to do ... but I was approached by some people I respect in the community who talked to me and asked me to run again," he said then, declining to name them. Bozarth was re-elected by 483 votes to 104 for Scott Hayes, a Woodford County ambulance technician who mounted a write-in campaign after he missed the filing deadline.

Bozarth writes today, "I have enjoyed being your mayor of the best small city in Kentucky. We have accomplished a lot for the betterment of our community over the last seven years and I look forward adding to these accomplishments over the next year. I want to thank all the council members that I served with during my terms for their cooperation, hard work and putting Midway first. It has been an experience of a life time for me. Thank you citizens of Midway for electing me to serve as your mayor!"

No comments: