Header

Friday, July 19, 2019

Mayor leaves state House race, citing 'unsettling feeling in my gut' every morning since he entered it a week ago

By Grayson Vandegrift
Mayor, City of Midway

Although no one in this field likes to “flip-flop,” I’m going to own up to this one. One week after declaring my candidacy for state representative -- a week where each morning greeted me with an unsettling feeling in my gut, I’ve decided to stay where I am and remain mayor of Midway for at least the next three and a half years.

I came to this conclusion solely on my own. The outpouring of support and even money that flowed in this week is truly humbling, but I have to go where my heart wants me to go, and my heart wants me to stay put. To those who were excited for this prospect of me running for state representative, I sincerely apologize, but I know you understand that I can’t be me if I can’t be authentic. While I will likely want to follow my passion for public service into higher office someday, I don’t want to leave the current office I occupy anytime soon. I love it too much, and my heart is in finishing the job I was elected to do.

Therefore, I am retracting my letter of intent for state representative, returning the money I’ve raised, and settling in to continue what we’ve started with no distractions. I will continue to push the agenda of major infrastructure repair, of sustainable growth, of lower utility bills, of better services, of better housing, of fairness for all people. And, I will continue to work to improve the relationships within our county, particularly between Midway, Versailles, and the greater community. And, as I have for the last four and a half years, I will continue loving the honor and privilege of serving as mayor of the greatest small town in America.

No comments: