Header

Monday, January 23, 2017

Mayor touts Jan. 30 chili cook-off, Renaissance meeting and 'Midwayan' over 'Midwegian'

By Grayson Vandegrift
Mayor, City of Midway

One of my favorite events, the Chili Cook-Off, will be this Monday, Jan. 30 at 6:30 p.m. at Midway Christian Church. It’s a great opportunity to break bread with your neighbors and try some secret family recipes, or, to share your own.

I’ve been a judge for some past cook-offs, and it’s really hard to pick a winner, because in addition to there being a lot of great entries, there are also some pretty serious competitors. I’ve had an easier time breaking bad news to an upset constituent than I have telling someone their chili didn’t win!

Immediately after the chili, you can pop an antacid and attend Midway Renaissance’s annual meeting. This is a great organization and a terrific way for you to contribute to our community, or, as is the case with most every Midwayan, contribute a little more.

If you noticed that I just used the term “Midwayan”, I’m busted, I’ve committed a political flip-flop. You see, I used to use the term “Midwegian” in describing one who dwells in our city, but a bit of a controversy arose over the past year or so. It seems that there are many people who not only prefer “Midwayan,” but they downright don’t care for the term “Midwegian.”

My pollsters, also known as Beatrice the hound, Napoleon the mutt, and Facebook, indicate that the majority prefer “Midwayan.” Some other important polling however, also known as my wife, Katie, shows a preference for “Midwegian”, so there may be some more political wishy-washy on my part in the near future. And besides, I’ve heard of polls not being accurate in the past.

Our next city council meeting is Monday, Feb. 6 at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall. Among the agenda items is first reading of an ordinance annexing and rezoning 31 acres adjacent to Midway Station to allow for expansion related to Lakeshore Learning Materials. As always, all are welcome and encouraged to attend.

No comments: